These single serve versions of apple pies are cute warm and easy to serve. You can pack the mini apple pie in lunch box or enjoy it with a cup of coffee. Learn how to make mini apple pie.
People in my house are very happy this month for all the baking happening. There are casseroles, muffins, cookies, baked chicken – yes the one and a half men in the house are getting pampered. Now, some of you requested for eggless baking recipes and here I am sharing Mini Apple Pie recipe – completely eggless! So all you vegan friends, this one’s for you – enjoy some eggless mini apple pie.
I told you earlier how Bluey thinks apples are worst fruits to eat. I try making different things with apples so that some amount of apple gets into his system. These mini apple pies are cute and handy for him and the best part is he had them on his own – without much effort from my side. Baby- led weaning, is a good thing if you have a little toddler.
Components of a Pie
Pie, an English classic, is a baked food item consisting of a short crust pastry and a filling. Depending on which course you are making it for the pie can be sweet or savoury. This pie here is made of an apple, cinnamon and raisin filling with a short crust pastry. This isn’t a dry apple pie. It has a rich saucy filling – wet enough to keep things moist and smooth yet not soak the crust or spill out of the pie.
I have a Classis Apple Pie recipe too in the blog. It has been made from scratch. Refer to this post for the pie crust. It is the easiest short crust pastry recipe that you can find.
Disclaimer: It is an old recipe from 2014, when my blog was on blogger. You will find all images marked with blogspot.in mentioned, so ignore. Also the formatting is different since I still have not managed to reformat all my 90 posts from blogger! So please excuse.
When you are making any pie it is important that you blind bake the pie crust – the base of the pie. To blind bake the crust for the mini apple pie
- Grease a 6 slot muffin tray or individual ramekins with butter/ cooking spray
- Use the lid of a jar to make small circles of the rolled out pie crust
- Place these circles in each slot or ramekin base so that they are up till the sides
- Place paper liner/ cupcake liners over the slots to cover the pie crust
- Place some pie weights / baking beans or if you can’t find anything put little raw rice
- Put this in the oven and bake at 220C/425F for 10 minutes.
What if I don’t blind bake with all this baggage?
What happens when you bake the pie crust just like that without the sheet and weight? When you are baking the short crust pastry (or anything with butter and flour) it will rise in places and become brown! You don’t want that. When you will put in your filling, the places that have risen will soak in the liquid and become soggy. And the weight, is to keep the papers in one place and not fly around in the oven!
The best part of this recipe is the apple is cooked in a sauce! So you get chunky apples in a smooth silky rich caramel sauce. All you need to do is combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a saucepan. Add come water with corn flour and let it boil. The corn flour will ensure you have a velvety sauce. Boil the apples and raisins over low heat in this sauce till they thicken little and are not runny. Cool it slightly before spooning them in the pie cups.
You can make any sort of cover. Some just cover it with another circle of pie crust and make some slits on it. That gives the rustic feel. Or you can make designs. You will get tons of these inspirations on Pinterest if you type apple pie!
I have done two kinds of rustic covers. One is a loose basket weave with strips of pastry crust and one is made with slits which when stretched as a cover gives this origami kind of design. You can actually do anything. As long there is some slit to let the air come out it is good to go.
Brush the pie cover with some milk and bake the pies in a pre-heated oven at 220C/425F for 15-17 minutes or till the top turns golden.
Egg (less) Story
The only part where this recipe required egg was to brush some egg on top of the pies. When you brush egg on any pie crust you get this beautiful golden color on flour. Now since we are going egg less with this recipe I have brushed the two individual ones in ramekins with some milk. And the ones made in the muffin tin with egg to show you the difference in color. The ones with an egg wash is more golden than the ones without it. But I guess it is a pretty small price to go vegan.
That is it. You can have these just like that (like us) or serve it warm along with a scoop of ice cream. This hot and cold combination is always a hit for me.
Before I could click pictures half the batch was gobbled up by people at home, namely Bluey and his dad with a statement – Four pies are enough for the photos, let us have the rest till then!
- All Purpose Flour - 2 ½ cup
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 2 table spoon
- Unsalted Butter – 1 cup (chilled and diced)
- Cold water – ½ cup
- Red Apples - 3 large apples, washed, peeled, cored and chopped in small chunks
- Brown sugar - ½ cup
- Cinnamon - 1 inch grated
- Nutmeg - ½ a nutmeg grated
- Corn flour - 2 tablespoon
- Water - 1½ cup
- Lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
- Milk - 2 tablespoon of milk for brushing on top of pies
- Pre-heat oven to 220C/425F
- Grease a 6 slot muffin tray / individual ramekins with butter / cooking spray
- Sift in flour, mix salt and sugar in it in a large bowl.
- Add butter and mix in with your fingers.
- Add water and bring the dough together. (Do not Knead)
- Flour your work board/surface and gather the flour & butter crumbles and bring them all together
- Wrap it with cling film and keep in freezer for 15 mins
- Flour your surface, roll out half of the pie dough and cut out small circles with a jar lid.
- Each circle should be bigger than the slots in muffin tray / ramekin
- Place the pie crust circles inside the slots / ramekins so that they come up to the edge
- Place paper liners / cupcake liners on them
- Put some pie weight, baking beans, rice so that the paper cups don't move
- Blind bake at 220C / 425F for 12 minutes
- Peel, core and chop 3 large red apples
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of lemon juice on it so that they don’t turn ugly and dark!
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan over medium heat
- In a small bowl take ½ cup of water and mix 2 tablespoon of corn flour and mix so that there aren’t any lumps
- Add this mix to the saucepan
- Add another cup of water to the saucepan and let it boil.
- Stir a few times so that the contents don’t stick at the bottom
- Cook for 3 minutes or till the mixture starts thickening
- Toss in the apples and let them cook over low heat for 6-8 minutes
- Cool slightly before spooning them in pie cups
- Spoon in the filling in the pie cups
- Roll out the pie dough and cut long strips
- Arrange these on top of the pie cups as covers
- Make sure there's enough space for air to escape
- Brush some milk on top of the pies
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 220C/ 425F for
- Place it on the middle rack or if you are using a convectional microwave use the shorter wire rack.
You might like these Eggless Baking Recipes
Classic English Apple Pie made from scratch Brush the top with milk like the mini apple pies and you have an eggless recipe