I am celebrating my new revamped blog with The Classic Apple Crumble. It’s just okay to indulge your sweet tooth once in a while. Yeah right, we are now a dot com, yay!! After the A to Z marathon, I was missing from the action. Actually I was setting up my site. I am still working on it though. Migrating from Blogger to self-hosted WP site isn’t that fast. But I am happy I am doing it all by myself and learning a lot of things. So this is my first post in the new site and what better way than to start on a sweet note!
I am in love with desserts, you all must have guessed that by now. You can never go wrong with an apple crumble. This classic recipe is a love affair with apples. Who likes apples just the way it is? I don’t. But I love my crumbles, pies and strudels.
Why am I crazy for Apple Crumble?
- It makes apple bearable – caramelized apples I tell you
- I love the warmth of cinnamon – apples and cinnamons are like conjoined twins
- The sugary, buttery crispy crumb is just the texture you want when having soft gooey apples
- I topped it with some vanilla ice-cream – so you know why I am excited
All you need to do is get your apples, sugar, cinnamon, butter sugar and flour and this baby is going to greet you with open arms.
I do few things differently than most of the recipes you will find on apple crumble.
- Grate the apples – This is faster and ensures all the pieces are of the same size. Unless every piece is of the same size they’ll not cook evenly. Pro Tip: Using a Large Grater or a multipurpose slicer gives you even pieces and is much faster.
- Use crushed cinnamon – 10 times better than cinnamon powder. It gives heat and sweetness to the apples.
- Use fine sugar – The sugar that we get here have huge granules, so I pulse it in the blender once so that they are fine and caramelizes evenly. If you are using castor sugar – it’s just fine
- Mix the crumb by hand – Yes very important – do not put it in a processor. The rustic crumb is always better.
- I like mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream – the warmth of the apple crumble and the coolness of the ice cream makes it super yum for me.
So enjoy a nice warm hearty apple crumble people. And hey, let me know how you like my new site!
- APPLE FILLING
- Apple – 3 medium sized – washed, cored and grated
- Lemon Juice – 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon – ½ a stick – crushed
- Granulated sugar – ½ cup
- Raisins – ⅛th cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- CRUMBLE TOPPING
- Granulated sugar/ demerara sugar – ½ cup
- All-purpose flour – ¾th cup
- Butter – ½ cup frozen and chopped in small pieces
- Preheat oven at 180C/375F
- Pour sugar in a hot pan and let it caramelize
- Add grated apples and mix in the caramel
- Add cinnamon and cook apples for 3- 4 minutes
- Sprinkle raisins and turn off heat
- FOR CRUMBLE
- Pour sugar, flour and butter in a bowl and combine with fingers
- Do not knead or mix vigorously, it should come to a texture like breadcrumbs
- Pour the apple filling in a greased oven proof dish
- Cover the filling with the crumb mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream