Tomato and Spice Rice Recipe is an easy recipe with brown rice, herbs, spices, and tomatoes. Its healthy, tangy and mouthwatering. Follow the step by step recipe with photos.
Hola people today I have the amazing Shalini from Shalzmojo with a super post on Tomato and Spice Rice Recipe. Shalini is an avid traveler, photographer, and a foodie. She is the friend who throws you a party, cooks for you when you are not feeling well and hosts amazing features on her blog. Over to her for the Tomato and Spice Rice Recipe. Follow her step-by-step photos for the recipe.
Tomato and Spice Rice Recipe by Shalini
Some days when I am ultra-lazy or craving something spicy to eat, I order this Mexican (or is it Spanish) rice from my nearby take away joint. It’s this big bowl of almost done rice with loads of herbs, spices, and tomatoes and comes with a nice chunky salsa and sour cream dip. One day I just decided to replicate it by taste and the following recipe is the result of that ingenuity. Yes yes, I am taking a bow.
So sit back and relax while I explain this uber simple but crazy delish recipe which I no longer order any more.
- Brown Rice - 1 cup, cooked - just keep it a little undercooked. (You may substitute white rice)
- Garlic - 6 cloves, chopped
- Fresh Dill - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Spring Onions - 3, finely chopped (keep greens and onion separate)
- Tomatoes - 4 medium sized firm tomatoes, diced (remove the seed center before chopping)
- Dry seasoning spices - 1 tsp each
- Red jalapenos - 2 tbsp (store-bought)
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp (or any other cooking oil of your choice)
- Black Pepper - ½ tsp, freshly crushed
- Fresh Sweet Basil - 7-8 leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Heat the oil in a wok/Kadai and add the garlic and dill – sauté for a minute or two.
- Sprinkle some of the three seasonings (I add as per my taste, but you may vary) and sauté some more on low flame.
- I am using Dry seasoning spices like Red Chilli Flakes, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Bread Seasoning
- Add the green bits of the spring onions and sauté for 2 minutes till they wilt and reduce in size. Now add the onion part and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the red jalapenos and sauté for a minute and then add the diced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle some salt to taste and sauté until the tomatoes are a little tender. They should retain their bite and not become pulpy or leave too much of their juice.
- Now add the cooked rice and use a fork to mix everything gently. The fork allows for the rice grains to remain separated and doesn’t make them turn to mush or sticky.
- Sprinkle the basil leaves and the pepper; toss it all gently one more time till all is evenly mixed and turn off the heat.
- Serve with homemade chunky salsa salad with onions, tomatoes, capsicum, green chilies, coriander and lemon juice and some sour cream on the side if you like it.
* You may add mushrooms/chicken/corn to this recipe to make it meatier
An interior designer by profession, writing is a passion which coupled with travel love, blossomed into this blog where I love to just “do my thing”! Be it recipes, food events, travel jaunts, fiction dreaming or even meditative musings; all of it’s taken up quite passionately on my blog. I am a serious wine guzzler and love to chase butterflies in my free time.
Interior Design Consultant | Photographer | Travel/Lifestyle Writer | Influencer |
|| Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|| Blog: https://www.shalzmojo.in ||
Liked the Tomato and Spice Rice Recipe? Pin it for later