Thandai recipe. This Indian Cooling Beverage recipe is a popular Holi Special Recipe which has dry fruits, saffron, nuts, and spices.
Holi is the festival of colors where Indians revel in bright colors, delectable food, lip-smacking snacks and cool beverages. Thandai is a traditional drink which is very popular in northern parts of India. Thandai Recipe is a nutritious beverage which has nuts, dry fruits, spices, and milk.
The word “thandai” is derived from the Hindi word “thanda” which means “cool”. This beverage is consumed to cool off during the warm Holi weather. Holi marks the onset of Spring and end of winter. This beverage is meant to cool down the body after being out in the sun. In the traditional Thandai Recipe bhaang (cannabis) are also added, but since my two-and-half-year-old will be having this, I have skipped adding anything like that.
How to Make this Easy Thandai Recipe?
This Thandai Recipe has a mix of nuts – almonds, pistachio, cashew. They make this Thandai Recipe a very nutritious beverage.
It also contains fragrant spices like saunf (fennel seeds), peppercorns, cloves. I have also added rose water, saffron for the much-needed taste and the subtle color.
- Almond - ½ cup
- Pistachio - ½ cup
- Cashew - ½ cup
- Poppy Seeds - 2 tablespoons
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Black Peppercorn - ½ teaspoon
- Cove - 2-3
- Cardamom powder - 2 teaspoon
- Rose Water - 2 teaspoons
- Saffron - a pinch, soaked in 3 tablespoons of milk
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Milk - 2 cups chilled
- Ice Cubes - as required
- Water - 1 cup
- Chopped nuts for garnishing
- Soak almonds, pistachio, cashew, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, pepper, cloves in water and keep aside for 2 hours.
- After the dry fruits and spices are thoroughly soaked, pour them in a mixer grinder along with the water, it's soaked in.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron soaked milk, rose water and grind them till it resembles a smooth paste
- In a Jar pour 4-5 tablespoons of the Thandai Paste and add chilled milk. (you can add little water to dilute milk)
- Stir it well
- Add ice cubes
- Pour into glasses and garnish with chopped nuts or rose petals
Liked the Thandai Recipe? Pin it for Later