This Christmas Fruitcake is a traditional English Recipe with twists of almond and exotic dried fruits soaked and loaded with brandy. Baked in low heat this is perfect for holidays, Christmas or just any time of the year.
Hello guys, I have been slacking a lot lately. I don’t know why. And I don’t know how to break this slumber. My phone is full of food photos which I can’t seem to sit down and edit and write a damn post! Some time back my wonderful fellow food blogger Shalini from Something is Cooking asked me to do a guest post on her blog. I was in Kolkata at that time and it was the perfect time for baking something for the holidays. And baking something in vacation with a toddler around is a task in itself. And then you have my mum who restricts me from visiting the kitchen even now! But then I am thankful to her because I did the effort to get the photos and post ready.
I have known Shalini for a long time now. I love her blogs and her food posts. I have been a fan of her since she did the A to Z of Chicken posts for one of the A to Z Challenges. So from Vietnamese chicken to Chicken 65 she did it all.
Most of my works are getting delayed these days because someone has learned to walk! And I am finding myself running around the house behind him mostly. But I finally managed to do this post after some delay, though. So hop over to Shalini’s Post and enjoy the Holiday Fruit Cake post there.
And then you have this little one waiting to pick up the piece of cake and run away. (He actually ran away with the plate mid photo session!!) He’s very fond of cakes.
I’ll also have the recipe here in case you wanted to check.
- Dried Mixed Fruits – 1 cup , chopped and soaked overnight in 30 ml brandy
- Unsalted butter – 200g
- Granulated sugar – 1 cup
- Egg – 3 whole eggs
- Vanilla Extract -2 teaspoon
- All purpose Flour – 2 cups
- Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ground Almonds or almond flour – ½ cup
- Salt – ¼th teaspoon
- Blanched and peeled almonds and dried strawberry for decorating
- Pre-heat Oven to 160 C/ 320 F
- Grease a round cake tin with butter
- Line the bottom and sides with baking paper or parchment sheets
- Wet Ingredients:
- In a mixing bowl cream together sugar and butter until its light and creamy with a wire whisk or electric mixer
- When its all airy and creamy add and beat eggs one by one
- Add vanilla extract and mix
- Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate mixing bowl, take sifted flour, baking powder, salt, almond flour.
- Mix with a spoon so that baking powder gets mixed well
- Incorporate the dry ingredients with the wet batter and fold in with a spatula
- Pour batter in the baking tray and let it rest for 5 minutes
- Decorate with blanched almonds and dried strawberry
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 160C / 320F for 1 hr
- After 60 minutes lower the temperature at 150C / 300F and bake for another 30 minutes
- This is a slow and low baking recipe!
- Once done insert a toothpick and check
- Cool it on a wire rack completely before serving
You Might Like
X-Mas Cake – A rich Christmas Fruit Cake soaked in whiskey – rich, traditional and a no fuss cake. Check the recipe with step by step photos.
Marble Cake with White and Dark Chocolate – Simple yet yummy and moist marble cake made with chocolates.
Candied Fruit Loaf Cake – Simple candied fruit and tutti fruti makes this cake a wonderful treat for the tea time.