This hash brown recipe is almost oil free, you can use just a little brush of oil for this air fryer recipe. Learn how to make easy breakfast hash browns and delight your kids. This is a healthy alternative to the otherwise skillet variation of a hash brown recipe.
What are Hash Browns?
Hashed Brown Potatoes, as it was originally called, is a staple breakfast food in UK and North America. It is a simple preparation of pan fried julienned potatoes. Now there are many versions of it available across the countries.
Breakfast Hash Brown Recipe becomes air fryer recipe?
I had my first tryst of hash browns when I was visiting Germany. Well of course, you will tend to overlook the golden bite sized pieces of hash browns amidst the enormous ensemble of Bratwurst, sausages of different kinds, cold cuts of a German Breakfast spread. But then I did try the hash browns and was surprised how good the humble potato can be in its gooey crispy form!
You can have the breakfast hash browns with fried eggs and toast for your breakfast or have it as a side in your Sunday Brunch! I love the skillet version – because the original English recipe calls for butter and potato fried in butter – now you know why I like it more.
But you can’t listen to your tongue all the time. This hash brown recipe is the leaner and cleaner version of the original one made in an air fryer with hardly any oil.
How to make Breakfast Hash Browns?
Most important thing that we need to keep in mind is to strip the potato of its starch as much as possible to make it leaner. So start off by soaking the shredded potatoes in cold water and drain the water when it starts turning cloudy. Repeat this step again to get rid of the excess starch.
Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray or brush the bottom of the pan with a tiny amount of oil and add the potatoes over medium heat. We are not going to cook and brown over gas, this step is only to remove the rawness of the potato.
In this hash brown recipe, we’ll use cornstarch or corn flour to add to the crispiness. Mix this shredded potato with seasoning and dust little corn flour. Spread it on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes. This will help in giving the hash browns some shape. You can skip this and make random shapes pressed in the palms of your hands.
That’s it all you have to do next is air fry and enjoy it with your breakfast or with a ketchup like me!
Hash Brown Recipe
- Large potatoes - 4 - peeled and finely grated
- Corn flour - 2 tablespoon
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper powder - to taste
- Chili flakes - 2 teaspoon
- Garlic powder - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Onion Powder - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Vegetable Oil - 1 + 1 teaspoon
- Soak the shredded potatoes in cold water. Drain the water. Repeat the step to drain excess starch from potatoes.
- In a non-stick pan heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and saute shredded potatoes till cooked slightly for 3-4 mins.
- Cool it down and transfer the potatoes to a plate.
- Add corn flour, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and chili flakes and mix together roughly.
- Spread over the plate and pat it firmly with your fingers.
- Regrigerate it for 20 minutes
- Preheat air fryer at 180C
- Take out the now refrigerated potato and divide into equal pieces with a knife
- Brush the wire basket of the air fryer with little oil
- Place the hash brown pieces in the basket and fry for 15 minutes at 180C
- Take out the basket and flip the hash browns at 6 minutes so that they are air fried uniformly
- Serve it hot with ketchup
Pin it for Later
I am taking my Alexa Rank higher with Blogchatter