The Chunky Fish Fry Recipe is simple and easy. Marinated fish fillets, double coated with breadcrumbs, dep fried for that extra crunch.
We have a special space for fish in our hearts – and that obviously means I am that fish loving Bengali. Thankfully, my son – who is a terrible eater – has taken a liking to fish too. But he has developed a peculiar taste for crispy food. The harder, the crunchier the better. So we are constantly baking, frying and air frying things for him hoping he would eat them. This Chunky Fish Fry recipe happens to be his favorite.
This is the simplest fish fry recipe you can get your hands on. We like to keep it chunky because you know one portion of it gives you enough protein.
Which fish is used in this Chunky Fish Fry Recipe?
I make this Deep Fried Fish Fillets with a basa or sea bass, you can do it with surmai, cod or anything that is boneless / has less bones. You can use tilapia too for this recipe, I am, however, not a fan of tilapia!
How to make Deep Fried Fish Fillets?
The taste comes in a good margination with lemon, salt pepper, ginger garlic paste. I avoided chili or too many spices for this Chunky Fish Fry Recipe because it’s main audience is my three-year-old.
Once marinated for 15-20 minutes, create an assembly line of egg wash and bread crumbs. Do a double coating of egg and breadcrumbs to make it even crispier.
I lay a newspaper and then put crumbs on it, because it gives me more space.
Pro-tip: Use one hand for dipping in egg and the other for breadcrumbs exclusively. Else you will have breadcrumbs clinging on to your fingers in the messiest way.
Deep fry them in hot oil and you are done! You can also air fry them to make it even healthier.
Chunky Fish Fry Recipe | Deep Fried Fish Fillets
- Basa Fish Fillets - 7-8, washed
- Seasoning - to taste
- Ginger garlic paste - 3 teaspoons
- Onion paste - 2 teaspoons
- Lemon juice - 3 teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil - 1 teaspoon for marination
- Oil - for deep frying
- Breadcrumb - 2 cups, for coating
- Seasoning - to taste, to add in breadcrumbs
- eggs - 2 whle eggs for egg wash
- Wash the fish fillets and dry them usinng towel
- Marinate the fillets with salt, pepper, lemon juic, ginger garlic paste and onion paste.
- Leave it aside for 20 mins
- Break two eggs in a bowl and beat it with a fork
- In another bowl add breadcrumb and mix seasoning to it.
- Lay a news paper or kitchen towels and pour the breadcrumbs on it. It makes it easier to roll the fillets
- Dip fish fillets in egg wash with one hand or use a spoon, to coat all sides
- With another hand roll it on breadcrumbs so that all sides are coated properly
- Repeat the last two steps
- Deep fry it in oil
- Sprinkle some seasoning on top and they are ready to be served.